How Long After an Injury Should You See a Chiropractor?
Chiropractic care can help promote faster recovery after sustaining an injury. A chiropractor utilizes various treatment options, such as manual adjustments and tissue strengthening exercises, to alleviate pain and aid in organ function. At Vida Integrated Health, we include chiropractic care as part of our personalized health care services. Here is how a chiropractor can help with injury recovery and when to schedule their services:
Treatment Immediately Following an Injury
Depending on the extent of your injury, you may consider scheduling a chiropractic appointment right away. Getting treatment immediately after an injury can help stimulate the nervous system and manage acute inflammation which may result in a quicker recovery. Some musculoskeletal injuries involving the spine, joints, and soft tissues are suitable for prompt chiropractic care. This can include whiplash, strains and sprains, and non-surgical back injuries.
If you’re experiencing back pain following a car crash, a chiropractor can determine if your neck or back is out of alignment. Chiropractors can also evaluate your condition and provide referrals to other health professionals. At Vida Integrated Health, we have functional medicine physicians, chiropractors, massage therapists, physical therapists, and acupuncturists who work together to provide quality care while you’re recovering from an injury.
Treatment After an Initial Recovery Period
Some injuries may require you to remain in a brace or cast for a designated time, providing stability and protection to the injured area. When you have a cast or brace, it typically means you’re dealing with a fracture, sprain, or some other form of structural injury that requires immobilization to heal properly. Chiropractors are healthcare professionals who focus on the diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular disorders, with an emphasis on treatment through manual adjustment and/or manipulation of the spine. While a cast or brace might limit the direct application of these methods to the affected area, there are still several ways a chiropractor can contribute to your overall treatment and recovery process:
1. Adjunctive Therapies: Chiropractors often use a variety of therapies in addition to manual adjustments. These can include electrical stimulation, soft tissue manipulation, laser therapy, and more. Such therapies can be applied to areas not restricted by the cast or brace to reduce pain, decrease inflammation, and promote healing.
2. Treatment of Non-Immobilized Areas: Even with a cast or brace, there are likely other areas of your body that could benefit from chiropractic care as you may experience over compensation due to an injury. For example, if you have a cast on your leg, a chiropractor might work on your back, hips, or the other leg to improve alignment and function, which can help compensate for the lack of mobility and prevent overuse injuries in these areas.
3. Exercise and Rehabilitation: Chiropractors can guide you through specific exercises that are safe to perform with a cast or brace. These exercises can help maintain muscle strength and flexibility, improve circulation to the affected area, and speed up recovery.
4. Ergonomic and Lifestyle Advice: A chiropractor can offer valuable advice on how to adapt your daily activities and environment to accommodate your cast or brace. This might include ergonomic adjustments to your workstation, tips for maintaining a balanced posture despite your limitations, and strategies for performing daily tasks more efficiently and safely.
5. Preventive Care: By addressing imbalances and dysfunctions in other parts of the body, a chiropractor can help prevent future injuries. This is especially important when you’re wearing a cast or brace, as other areas of the body may be compensating for the immobilized part, making them more susceptible to injury.
It’s important to communicate openly with your chiropractor about your condition, the specifics of your injury, and any other treatments you’re receiving. Collaboration between your chiropractor, physician, and any other healthcare providers involved in your care is crucial to ensure that all aspects of your treatment are complementary and not contraindicated. Always consult with your primary healthcare provider before starting any new treatment, including chiropractic care, especially when dealing with complex injuries that require a cast or brace.
Treatment Long After an Injury
Even if you’ve delayed scheduling chiropractic care after an injury, you can still benefit from treatment at a later time. Some effects of an injury may not manifest immediately and could become apparent or worsen over time. This can include neck and back pain, inflammation, stiffness, and headaches. Our chiropractic care is designed to alleviate injury-related pains using functional treatments and manipulations.
Your chiropractor may recommend long-term treatment after an injury to promote full rehabilitation and recovery. Chiropractic care can help strengthen the area around your injury, potentially preventing chronic pain and future injuries to the same area. Through our integrative approach, our team can provide a personalized home exercise program to help work your muscles and improve your range of motion to help you recover faster.
Consult With a Chiropractor Today
Our Vida Integrated Health team offers a comprehensive approach to injury recovery, including chiropractic care. Whether your injury occurred recently or in the past, our chiropractors can work to ease your pain through manual adjustments and active release techniques. We can assess your condition, personalize a treatment plan, and promote injury healing through our many chiropractic services.
Our Chiropractors work with our Physical Therapists, Acupuncturists, Massage Therapists, and Functional Medicine Primary Care Physicians to create a personalized treatment plan that supports your goals.
Schedule an appointment with us today!
Want to schedule and appointment but unsure about your coverage? Easily find out by using our contact us form. We will check your coverage and send you the results!
© 2022 Vida Integrated Health. All Rights Reserved.