Treatment of Migraines with Acupuncture
An estimated 3 million Americans suffer from migraine headaches each year. They can often times be debilitating and have a significant effect on daily activities, including work. Treatment usually consists of over the counter and prescription medications. Recently, acupuncture is becoming a more popular alternative treatment for the management of migraines.
Acupuncture can be an effective prophylactic treatment. Also can be used during an acute episode to decrease the intensity or make the migraine go away all together.
Why Choose Acupuncture?
- Can decrease pain with fewer side effects, if any at all
- Can prevent future episodes and provide sustained relief
- Can reduce the amount of medication you need to take
- Each treatment is individualized and not a ‘one pill treats all’ type of medicine. Traditional Chinese Medicine looks at each person as a unique individual and despite having the same symptoms as another person, your treatment may be completely different and individualized to you.
What to expect during treatment:
- Your acupuncturist will ask you a series of specific questions regarding your migraine, look at your tongue, and feel your pulse to determine the cause of your symptoms.
- A thin, hair like needle will be inserted into specific acupuncture points on the body. The treatment is essentially painless and tends to be very relaxing. The needles are retained for approximately 15-30 minutes while you rest.
- Your practitioner may make recommendations on diet and lifestyle changes that could help to prevent further episodes.
You can expect to see your acupuncturist once a week for a few months to start out with. As the frequency and intensity of migraines decreases, your need for treatments will also decrease.
Vida Integrated Health